The Hon. Justice Tom Gray, Supreme Court of South Australia, delivered a presentation at the STEP Queensland Branch annual conference at Kingscliff, NSW on 5 September 2014. His Honour addressed the following:
- The scope of the requirement, in s.24(e) of the Succession Act 1981 (Qld) (and the corresponding requirement in the statutory wills legislation in other Australian jurisdictions) that ‘it is or may be appropriate for an order to be made … in relation to the person’.
- Judicial consideration of this, in Hausfeld v Hausfeld  NSWSC 989, Re Matsis  QSC 349, and Doughan v Straguszi  QSC 295.
- The passing reference to this requirement, in Saunders v Pedemont  VSC 574 at  and  by Habersberger J.
- The more recent consideration of this requirement in ADT v LRT  QSC 169.
- Some practical issues posed by orders being made for the de-identification of parties, in published judgments relating to statutory will applications.